El Centro, California (NAPSI) - While new throw pillows, a fresh coat of paint or a decorative lamp can do wonders to refresh a room, when you get down to it, one of the best ways to make a room sparkle is to refinish your hardwood floors.
In the past, refinishing hardwood floors was often considered a time-consuming, dusty and smelly undertaking. Today’s technology and products, however, can make it quick and easy—in some cases, you can be back in your home the same day.
These five tips can help.
1) Don’t let your floors get overly worn, scratched or damaged before you take action. Refinishing when your floors only have some wear and tear can mean an easy, one-day recoat. If you wait too long, you may have to replace some of the floorboards.
2) Go with a contractor that uses a dust-free system. Dust containment systems make refinishing hardwood floors clean and safe by reducing airborne dust by 99.8 percent. Old wood floor refinishing methods can produce wood dust particle counts 200 times over the OSHA limit.
3) Go with a pro. Know the company that’s coming in to refinish your floors. It should be experienced and insured. For example, Bona has a Certified Craftsman Program that is comprised of a trusted network of hardwood flooring experts that deliver outstanding results in both craftsmanship and customer service. They all must adhere to a Five Star Advantage program, which means they are insured, trusted, knowledgeable and mindful to utilize products that are safe for your home and the environment.
4) Keep it green. It’s a common misconception that environmentally friendly, water-based finishes aren’t as durable as oil-modified finishes. An industry test found that waterborne finishes withstand wear and tear better than most oil-modified finishes. Additionally, acid-cure finishes emit extremely high levels of VOCs and harmful fumes, which means people, pets and plants have to vacate the house for two to three days. With a GREENGUARD certified, waterborne finish such as Bona’s Traffic HD, you can often walk on the floor the same day.
5) Consider a change. Refinishing can be a good time to change the color and sheen of your floors. Consult a craftsman for advice or download the Bona Floor Design Guide app.
Once you’ve refinished your hardwood floors, you can keep them beautiful by using a cleaning solution specifically formulated for hardwood floors. Avoid overly acidic cleaners (such as vinegar and water) that can eat away at your new finish. Instead, look for pH-neutral cleaners that won’t leave a residue behind to bring out the best in your hardwood floors.
For more information or to locate a hardwood floor craftsman, go to www.mybonahome.com.